Thursday, June 26, 2008

Films! Films! Films!

For some inexplicable reason, I decided to re-watch both American Graffiti and Dazed and Confused this week. I suppose the first viewing was an attempt to express to my roommates how awesome George Lucas was early on in his career. And since I unconsciously link the two films together now, a screening of D&C was necessary. Fortunately, I still enjoy the two, but the tension I felt early May came flooding back. Eeeesh.

In addition to AG and D&C, I feel like I've watched many a film over the past couple weeks for work. Let's see...there was Woman of the Year with Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn (the couple's first onscreen appearance together) and a film I truly enjoyed. Then Dinner at Eight - a 1933 George Cukor production with some of the biggest stars of the era including the one and only Jean Harlow. And finally, Sweet Smell of Success. Quite dark, a bit melodramatic, but truly great. All are part of the Essentials programming, so do check your local listings or TCM's website to find out when they'll be airing. Wow. I sound like a TCM drone. Wait! I am a TCM drone. Parfait!

I also viewed Frankenstein and Mutiny on the Bounty (the 1935 Clark Gable version, not the Marlon Brando or Mel Gibson ones) - knocking off some of the remaining films on the 1997 AFI list. They were decent, a bit hard to stick with, but I did. I had to. I'm on a mission that's long overdue.

No comments: