Thursday, June 5, 2008

Enlightenment!

As aforementioned, at work this week I've been watching and time coding scenes from four films. Today's selection: You Can't Take it with You. Now I've always considered myself a Frank Capra fan and many know that Jimmy Stewart reigns as my favorite actor of all time. So the question that arises from those two points: How have I managed to go through these last 25 years without seeing this 1938 Best Picture Oscar winner? Really, I have no words! The film is marvelous. Classic Capra with his troupe of usual suspects (including an uncredited Ward Bond who found his way into many a Capra and John Ford film). I mean, this film is a stomping ground for many of those who worked with the director before, and then after. Until today, I never realized how enjoyable Lionel Barrymore can be since I have always associated him with the duplicitous Mr. Potter to Jimmy's affable and confused George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life. In this film, however, Barrymore is absolutely charming and very grandfatherly as Martin Vanderhof. With the talents of Jean Arthur, a 15-year-old Ann Miller, and Spring Byington, among many others, You Can't Take it with You is funny, witty, touching, and discusses the role of government in a very smart and thought provoking manner, many ideas which resonate today. I guess all that's left to say: I love this job (er, internship)!

Also, aside from films and TCM, with my trip to Trader Joe's after Sex and the City the other night, I purchased two wines: a Red - my favorite Montepulciano (Villa Cerrina Montepulciano D'Abruzzo) - and a White - one I had never tried - a Vouvray (Lacheteau Vouvray 2006). It was very fruity and delightful, and I highly recommend it for these hot summer days or for a delicious pairing with fish and veggies. And of course, as the ladies of 180 Washington may attest, I always suggest the Montepulciano for any and every occasion.

No comments: