Thursday, July 10, 2008

Reds and Whites, but not so many Blues.

So much has been going on the past couple weeks. Where do I even begin?!

First off, WALL-E. Oh my goodness, it's been a while since an animated film has made me cry, and this one did it more than once. Though the film is not my favorite Pixar, it might be fighting for spot number two. A robot expressing his love for another through a Hollywood musical (Hello Dolly! directed by the one and only Gene Kelly) - how much cuter and sincere can it get?! The nostalgia factor presses hard, even for items that are still very much in use today, and watching the title character interact with a (dare I say adorable) cockroach as well as his love EVE, well, I don't understand how anyone could keep a dry eye. WALL-E also references a number of classic science fiction films, so any film geek will definitely enjoy it. I must commend Pixar for continuing to do fantastic work on making "kid" movies adult friendly. Well done, Pixar. Thanks for a summer movie that doesn't suck.

Fourth of July in Georgia was fantastically fun though not so over-the-top patriotic. At least, for my group of travelers. Ash, Glenn, Vic, Ken, and I went to the Georgia mountains and sampled the local wines. We stayed at a cabin just outside Helen and explored three vineyards in Dahlonega. Before that, however, we hit up the Habersham Tasting Room on Dahlonega's square. Paying 5 bucks for 5 tastings and a glass was definitely a great start to the trip. They offered some unusual wines as well with Peach Treat being the stand out.


The next day we completed our hat trick of vineyards beginning with Black Stock. We were unanimous in our dislike for this one. While it is the oldest vineyard in Georgia, it happens to be the youngest winery. Perhaps they'll improve in a few years time. I must say the best wine was their White Merlot. Yes, that's right - White Merlot. For someone who prefers red and does not like merlot, I was shocked. But it wasn't delightful enough for me to buy a bottle.

The next vineyard - just down the road from the first - put Blackstock to shame. Frogtown was not only gorgeous and not only dog-friendly, but their wines were pretty delicious. We all opted for the white wine tasting, and I believe we were all very impressed. I think my favorite of the eight I tried was the Vineaux Blanc - perfect summer beverage. I didn't purchase a bottle, but I did take home a very nice red wine glass with the frog insignia. I look forward to my first glass with that.

From Frogtown we headed a little farther down the road to Wolf Mountain Vineyards which really takes your breath away as you head toward the tasting room. Their vines cover a lot of land, and the product is quite good. The tasting incorporated reds and whites, but I feel that my taste buds were shot from the first two stops because I couldn't finish most of my pours. However, I do remember them all being very nice, and everyone minus me, opted for a full glass and a bottle or two to take home. I think that attests to the overall thumbs up for Wolf.

Ranking the three vineyards - not so easy. Black Stock definitely falls to the bottom, but it's a toss up for Frogtown and Wolf. I think I should go back and research a bit more. Make sure I get my notes accurate.

No comments: