Thursday, June 19, 2008

Apparently, I'm an expert.

We'll continue our look at musicals with my personal favorite of the genre as well as one my favorite films - period: Singin' in the Rain. This also seems like an ideal time to write about this one, not only because I forced Ash and Glenn to listen to my personal commentary as they watched it - which I then repeated the next day, unbeknownst to me - but also because one of the stars - the featured dancer to be exact - passed away this week: the supreme Cyd Charisse (who was known as "Legs" among her peers). She dances with Gene Kelly in the breathtaking number, Broadway Melody.

Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds (Princess Leia's mother in real-life, though there's no noticeable similarity between them), and Donald O'Connor star in this 1952 masterpiece which highlights the cinematic era when Hollywood transitioned from Silent film into the "Talkies." This was a tough time for many silent screen stars, and a lot of them no longer had careers once sound became commonplace. (Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) is just one such example.) Singin' does not hesitate to make fun of itself and its industry while at the same time promoting its stronghold over audiences. This duality makes up just part of Singin's genius with the remainder of the brilliance composed of the songs, dances, sets, and acting. I believe that none of the songs were original numbers but rather written by Arthur Freed during his Broadway days decades before. He waited for the right screenwriters to come along before attaching any of them to a film, and when Betty Comden and Adolph Green said they'd do it, the two created the plot around the songs. Next on-board came Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen - co-directors and co-choreographers - and from there, everything else seemed to fall into place.

Two of my favorite scenes in any movie are in this one (at least as far as I told Ash and Glenn): the first is "Make 'Em Laugh" performed by Donald O'Connor which spotlights his physical comedic side as well as singing and dancing talents. The second is "Good Mornin'" with the three stars performing together. This was Debbie's first day of shooting with the two dance masters, and it's impossible to tell, but the few weeks prior to the shoot day were the only days of dance lessons she'd ever had. And she pulled it off - beautifully! The song also reminds me of my friend Ana who, whenever we went on overnight school trips in high school, would sing "Good Mornin'" to get us all out of bed, and it was very lovely. Always.

If I could be any character in any movie, I'd be Kathy Selden, hands-down. Why? Well, for one, she can dance; two, she can sing; three, she's gorgeous. Plus, she's paired with Gene Kelly's Don Lockwood! Lucky, lucky lady. Okay, I'm not writing anything more, except, everyone should see this. Seriously. Right now. Stop whatever you're doing and go! Post me once you do.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

I have added it to the TOP of my Netflix queue!

Glenn Grimwood said...

The best commentary I've ever listened to.....You should be on the DVD. Here's my question: What happened to slapstick in modern film, huh?