Friday, March 26, 2010

A Happy, Little Monkey!

For anyone who knows me, it is quite clear that I have a soft spot for Curious George. Well, last week, the Jewish museum in New York opened an exhibit: Curious George Saves the Day: The Art of Margret and H.A. Rey. What many people don't know is that Curious George grew out of the darkness of World War II France, where Margret and H.A. Rey lived and eventually fled because, well, they were German Jews. While the couple was seeking refuge at an old chateau in southern France, the authorities raided the place, suspecting the Reys of hiding explosive devices. Instead, the authorities found the illustrations of a monkey and let the Reys be. In 1940 the couple embarked on a life-saving journey which brought them to New York where they continued to illustrate, write, and publish the many adventures of Curious George. 

Because of that genesis of Curious George, the title of the exhibit is perfectly apt; had it not been for those drawings, who knows what could have happened to the Reys. But what's striking is that while reading their many tales, you'd never suspect that Curious George was born out of such a dark and dangerous time. Never do his misadventures allude to war or persecution, and I find it absolutely remarkable that Margret and H.A. Rey were able to create such a happy and adorable character during such a horrible period. 

For me Curious George has always been a constant source of happiness and joyfulness. I own many of the books, as well as the 2006 film, Curious George, which is actually pretty enjoyable - unless you really don't like Jack Johnson - as well as a number of stuffed Georges  - one of which rides in my car with me. Also, my most favorite store is a bookstore on Harvard Square called "Curious George Goes to Wordsworth." It's a fantastic bookshop that caters to children's books - not just The Adventures of Curious George - but ALL the stories my generation grew up with - from Amelia Bedelia to Eric Carle to Where the Wild Things Are to the Bernstein Bears - I mean EVERYTHING. It's a fantastic shop where you can relive your childhood memories and recall the stories you loved once upon a time.

I really hope to make it to NYC this summer to see this exhibit. It seems very educational, and I love that they have so many of the original illustrations that the Reys sketched in the 1940s and beyond. If you happen to find yourself at the Jewish museum, please let me know what you think of the exhibit! Until then, I'll be a Curious Courtney!

No comments: