Saturday, July 19, 2008

Here's my card.

I just finished a delicious lunch of Chick-fil-a nuggets (the 8-count), and as I sit sipping the last drops of sweet tea from my cup, I've decided that now is the perfect time to reflect on the film which I saw last night, and the film which is probably the most anticipated of the season. No no. I'm not referring to Space Chimps but rather: The Dark Knight (TDK).

For the past few months I've been attempting to avoid anything TDK related. I've been so excited that I wanted my experience not to be tainted by overly suggestive trailers, reviews, interviews, etc. With Heath Ledger's untimely passing in January, I knew that would be nearly impossible, but for the most part I did pretty well. That is, of course, until two weeks ago when the hype really escalated and my world was inundated with TDK everything! Finally, the 18th of July arrived, and with my ticket pre-purchased, I was ready for the film that would not disappoint.

And disappoint it did not. However, the dark nature of this second Chris Nolan Batman installment cannot be emphasized enough. With the doom and destruction overrunning Gotham City, my stomach began turning, my hands grew clammy, and I could not wait for the 2.5 hour film to end. Heath Ledger's Joker is eerily fantastic, but thoughts of his mortality and depression never escaped me, thus fueling my unease. He played the sinister psychopathic Joker so well and with such impeccable delivery that it saddens me (and I'm sure many many others) that never again will I see Heath in that role. Of course in addition to the Joker, there's Batman and Harvey Dent: Christian Bale being - in my mind - the quintessential Batman, and while I'm not a huge Aaron Eckhart fan, he did a fine job as Dent. Rounding out the cast are Michael Caine flawlessly portraying Alfred, Gary Oldman as Gordon and Maggie Gyllenhaal filling in as Rachel (since that Scientologist couldn't handle the job and, undeniably, making this film a bit more enjoyable than the first). I was really hoping the Joker would have said something to Rachel along the lines of "I can't quit you - or your brother" but alas, no. The screenwriters must have thought that distasteful.

My only regret with seeing TDK was that I didn't see the IMAX release. Just from the standard theater viewing, I could tell how amazing the IMAX experience must be! The action sequences are ridiculously awesome and the cinematography riveting that seeing an IMAX film on an IMAX screen must enhance the movie so much more! I've decided to give myself two weeks - preparation, really - for the IMAX crowds to die down, then head over and see it once more. Hopefully, with a little more enjoyment and a little less nausea. Uh oh. Tea's all gone. I'm out.

1 comment:

Glenn Grimwood said...

It made me sad to realize I'll never see it again for the first time.....