Sunday, May 16, 2010

This Southern Belle Turns Two Years Old!

Along with Mother's Day and graduations (and of course humidity and pollen), May is a month filled with very happy celebrations -- birthdays! As May continues on, not only do my sister, my Nana, and my Sweetheart each turn a year older, but so too does my blog! Yes, today, May 16, A Southern Belle is 2 years old! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 

And I mean, WOW! A lot has changed since post numero uno. When I started this blog, my adventures as a lowly intern at TCM had just begun, I still had half of my coursework left to complete, and I had a Massachusetts license in my wallet. Well, no more! After 73 posts (which I know seems like NOTHING in two years), I've watched a lot of movies (but still definitely not enough), wrote some semi-coherent papers concerning filmdom, learned how to use Final Cut Pro and After Effects (but still have TONS to learn), and have taken on the role of producer at work. You know, I do think I'm outgrowing those baby steps and maturing into a pretty healthy kid. Nonetheless, I'm very interested to see what the Terrible Twos bring...

And before I say bye-bye, I did watch a movie with the parents last night (yes, my parents are in-town until... well, I'm not quite sure when...and yes, that's why I'm up at 9AM on Sunday blogging). We watched A Serious Man -- the Coen Bros. Best Picture nominee from this last round which had very little "serious" in it. I gotta say, I really had no clue what to expect from this movie. It is a bizarre, little film with no well-known A-list movie stars, and it starts out strangely and ends just as weirdly. But you know what? A Serious Man turned out to be incredibly entertaining and I was laughing constantly. The Coen Bros. have a very distinctive style when it comes to dialogue -- fast-paced, witty, and really really funny. They also know how to cast a movie and get actors who are dead-on with delivery. The lead actor, Michael Stuhlbarg, was fantastic along with the rest of the cast which also includes Richard Kind and Adam Arkin. If you're looking for a funny, strange, and overall different movie, go with A Serious Man. You might, like my Mom, think it's utterly stupid, but just like Mom, you'll be laughing out loud.


No comments: