Monday, May 17, 2010

Pomp and Circumstance. Yay Me.

So yesterday I was so excited about my blog turning 2 that I completely forgot to mention something just as important: As of Sunday, May 16, 2010, I am no longer a student. That's right. Yesterday I graduated from Boston University with a Master of Fine Arts in Film Studies. I know, I know...It can't be too surprising, right? I mean, as this blog attests, I am obviously a master of Film. Now, though, I have the documentation to back it up. Woot woot! And while I did not partake in the commencement exercises (I'm still working on my teleportation skills), I did feel the huge weight leaving my shoulders, and today I am able to breathe a little easier and focus on the really important things in life: Being awesome. Being brilliant. And the topper: Being able to sleep. So, we should all celebrate how awesome and brilliant I am after I wake up from a much needed nap. Perhaps when that happens, I'll also possess a little bit of modesty.

In all seriousness, going back to school made me realize how fortunate I am in this life (as well as how much I do not miss the "work" part of being a student -- I loved my classes, but when it came time to write essays and take tests, ugh, what a pain those were). Just a few short years ago as I was filling out the applications and writing the essays for Masters programs, they each started with a quote from Robert Osborne and ended with "After I receive my MFA, I would like to work for an organization such as Turner Classic Movies or American Film Institute." Well, now I'm working with Robert Osborne at TCM. It doesn't get much better for me (other than perhaps running the network -- but that'll come in time). Had it not been for BU, the Film Program, and the connections I made, who knows if TCM would have ever happened. I just have to remember how incredibly fortunate I am and how thankful I am for my grad school experience. Deciding to go to BU really changed my life in so many respects, and while not everything has been easy, it has most definitely been worth it.


No comments: