Saturday, February 21, 2009

And the winner (probably) is...

Finally, I have seen the front-runner for this year's Best Picture Oscar: Slumdog Millionaire. While I enjoyed the film - very much - I don't know if I would consider it the BEST picture of the year. However, I would say it is one of the most unique, entertaining, and well-made movies of the year. The screenplay - adapted from a book called Q&A - is quite brilliant and Danny Boyle's direction is superb. The unknown actors shine, and I most especially enjoyed the child actors who played the younger selves of the main characters. They were ridiculously adorable!

My favorite part of Slumdog Millionaire by far is the music. The score fits perfectly with the emotion, and every award the composer wins for this film is completely, 100% deserved (in my humble opinion). Check out this excellent article on the man behind the film's score, A.R. "Do you think they spelled that phonetically?" Rahman.
There must be something about the sitar that my ears can't get enough of, almost like the banjo. Something about those strings...

Sadly, I'm not familiar enough with Indian filmmakers like Satyajit Ray, but ever since I saw Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding, I've had a fascination with Indian culture. I find it funny and great and depressing and not that surprising that it took a Brit to make the most popular Indian film that American audiences have seen. It really was enjoyable, but until I see the last two contenders (Milk and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), I'm afraid my vote cannot yet be cast.

1 comment:

Glenn Grimwood said...

I think it was phonetic. "A" is just one sound, but "R" involves using the "A" sound at the beginning of the letter, and for a foreigner that can be quite complicated.