Sunday, February 1, 2009

One down. Four to go.

As much as it saddens me to admit, I am very very very very far behind in seeing 2008's list of Oscar nominees. But, last night I saw my first of the Best Picture contenders: The Reader. Now, I don't know where I got my information or how I pieced together my own version of the movie, but once The Reader began, I thought, "Wow, I'm totally off!" I had the time period right - somewhat - but I was very wrong in who I thought the reader was. Let's just say, it's not Kate Winslet. And while it does involve World War II and Nazi Germany, the farthest back it goes in time is 1958. It's a story told mostly in flashback about sexual awakening, first love, secrecy, the wrongs of our ancestors - which all involve lots of bare-ass Kate. But I think her Oscar nod for Best Actress was given to her for more than just her nakedness. She really is quite brilliant, delivering a highly emotional and solid performance, though, I might be a little biased: I think she's one of the best actors out there today. I was also pleasantly surprised to see both Ralph Fiennes and Lena Olin on screen - and once again reminded as to how out of the loop I am on current cinema. I did not do my research for this film, but I think I like it like that. I just need not to explain the premise of a movie before I see it. So sorry to anyone who got false information from me. I hope I didn't ruin the film for you or, more importantly, your opinion of me.

Next up - I hope - Slumdog Millionaire. Wait until I see it to ask me what it's about :) I can tell you it's directed by Danny Boyle - the man who brought us Trainspotting, Sunshine, and 28 Days Later. Now, how can it not be good?

No comments: