Sunday, October 25, 2009

Lovely Sunday Films Part II

After a very blah and dismal week, the sun made her way out from behind the clouds and shed much appreciated light all over Virginia Highlands. I felt motivated to get out of the apartamento and venture to the theater (movie that is).

Preface: I saw a film at BAM a few years back entitled Paris, Je Taime and absolutely loved it. It's such a great collaboration of various filmmakers - directors, writers, actors - in all different genres branching out around the City of Lights, sharing stories of everyday inhabitants and visitors. I think anyone who enjoys film will love Paris, Je Taime even if you don't enjoy every segment of it.

Well, after the success of that film, another group of filmmakers got their creative sparks going and decided to move across the Atlantic and try the same idea with the City that Never Sleeps - my favorite place - New York, New York ("A city so great they named it twice - the other one is Manhattan"). Simply called New York, I Love You, the film takes place all over New York and Brooklyn with lots of vignettes about couples, friends, strangers and the overall relationship with New York itself. While the film itself didn't strike quite the same chord with me as Paris, Je Taime, I loved basking in the celluloid images of the city. I do have to say, I appreciated how well all the vignettes intertwined with one another - much more so than in Paris, Je Taime - and anything with Eli Wallach I will always like (he was the main reason I did not completely hate The Holiday). I think my favorite segment of New York, I Love You, the one that really moved me, was the one involving Chris Cooper and Robin Wright Penn (if she still has the Penn). I don't want to say too much since there is a twist involved, but it was really well done with great sensitivity and delicateness, and I love the inclusion of "No Surprises." As soon as I heard the first note of that Radiohead song, I thought, great choice. Really nicely done. Overall though for me, and why I might be biased with this film, is that I needed some sort of escape, even if it wasn't in the physical sense such as an actual excursion to the city. New York, I Love You proved to be a great treat, and a great reminder of happy memories as well as my own grapples with NYC. It's a city that I may have issues with at times, but no matter what, New York will forever hold a most special place in my heart. New York. I truly do love you.

No comments: